- I use Weebly PRO (Simple Block website builder) to build a website and then manage and communicate with my 35 Year 12 music students on a daily basis.
- I have purchased the PRO version that gives me password security, audio embedding and video embedding.
- This has replaced my Edmodo Classroom in 2012 and 2013. I find I have complete control over content and layout.
- Each student has their own 'space' or web page. The Teacher builds and maintains it - this may change in the future.
- Students can read but cannot write to their page
- Students notify the Teacher of required updates
e.g. Add a lyric sheet or structure sheet for the rest of the group to view. Youtube links etc...
- The Teacher posts notes, cheat sheets (music structure sheets),
photos of board notes that are relevant to that student. This is done at home each night.
- The Teacher posts draft videos. These might be several videos of the pieces you ran through that day and usually the final run through or 'blocking' of the practise sessions that day.
- Students can watch the video at home and self assess their piece. Instant Feedback!
- As we may not touch that piece for another week it helps the teacher also remember where the group was up to at the last rehearsal. Especially when you have 35 students doing 4 pieces (in most cases) each.
- It helps the teacher prepare both mentally and physically the night before for their lesson.
- NOTE: Weebly PRO has it's own video embed option - so no youtube and no ads!!! :)
Those of you already using Weebly will say: "So?"
Have you thought of AUTOMATING THE UPDATING OF THESE 'SPACES' FROM YOUR IPAD OR IPHONE?
- Create every student 'Space' as an individual blog.
- This is easily done in the PAGES tab of Weebly
- Just click ADD BLOG (not NEW PAGE) and then drag it to where you want it in the menu system.)
- Update each students blog from the app.
- Update it at school - like a real time diary (I hate post it notes and they always get lost on my desk)
- I also use it like a diary in class. (If a student asks me to create or post a resource or to prepare something overnight; I can quickly pop some text into their 'space' from my iPhone or the iPad.
- Students can post comments on each BLOG entry.
- Email notifications tell me when a post is made.
- I have a message rule set up in OUTLOOK exchange so all emails from weebly go straight to an email folder so I don't have to sift through the business emails.
- SIDE NOTE: I also have a message rule for stusents emails too. Anything from '@education.nsw.gov.au' goes straight to a student folder
- I clean it up, edit or update each student's blog at home.
- That's it.
- Add Photos from your camera roll or take live photos straight into the blog
- Add Videos from your camera roll or take live videos straight into the blog
- Add text
- If your school blocks it: You can upload from home or upload it using your 3G connection.