This week I unleashed my new DEC Adobe connect room on my unsuspecting Year 12 music students.
Firstly, here is the Word document and the PDF file students needed to use for their summary sheet. It is based on the actually HSC forms in order to familiarise students with the format
I wanted to keep it very simple on our first outing
- Two imacs Hardwired into the school 'other network' (Not DER WIRELESS)
- Both iMacs running their webcams on my admin account
- For recording I just simply used the inbuilt mic and the webcam on Greg Thwaites3 (in future I will use my Blue Yeti USB Microphone)
- The staffroom Lenovo PC was also logged into my account (without webcam) just running to itself for my staff to randomly glance at as we start this journey.
- All students were in the connect session on their DER Laptops using wireless.
- One responsible student is given 'ADMIN' or rather 'HOST' rights so they can accept students that either drop out or have to turn off their session to present their Viva. (I have since realised that you can turn on auto-accept in preferences)
THE VIVA VOCE - /8
- I individually recorded each student in Adobe Connect which so easily....well automatically... saves to the DEC servers.
- Each student received a mark out of 8 for their 'passionate discussion' with me.
- Each student had to prepare their summary sheet.
- Each student was required to have audio excerpts 'cut up' in Audacity that supported their discussion and information on their summary sheet.
INTERACTIVE - /2
- Each student could gain 2 marks simply by asking appropriate questions to the candidate during the Viva Voce through the Adobe Connect CHAT POD.
- At the end of the 8 minute discussion the teacher scans the questions and asks the candidate some of the more interesting questions.
- At the end of each student I click on 'Email chat' - which then automatically and seamlessly sends to your DET email address...
- I clear the chat before each new discussion and recording
- I have the Adobe connect emails automatically delivered to an email folder called 'ADOBE CONNECT' through the use of the message rules in Outlook exchange (Our DET PORTAL)
FEEDBACK and SELF ASSESSMENT
- The same night I quickly log onto the 'Meeting information' and navigate to the recordings. I set the days recordings to public and then privately send the links to each student in our EDMODO classroom.
- I send students their individual 'Chat history email'
- Students are required to respond with three paragraphs of self assessment and reflection in our Edmodo online classroom.
Upon doing this the are given their final mark out of 10
- My three other music staff and I will spend time going over these vivas in future faculty meetings and doing professional development on 'questioning techniques' and improving students responses.